Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Swedish-Style Meatballs with Espagnole

The reason I made the meatballs was really to make the sauce. This is a classic espagnole sauce made from mirepoix (onions, carrots, and celery), tomato puree, and brown stock (I used beef). I did add a bit of cream and dill to the sauce, following a recipe, so I'm not sure if it still would qualify as espagnole. It was fun making the sauce from scratch and the meatballs were tasty too. They were made from groud beef and pork with the usual meatball ingredients: eggs, bread crumbs, and bit of milk, and some seasonings. I browned them in the oven on their own before baking them in the sauce. I hate plain white rice (it's so bland!) but it served it's purpose to sop up all that sauce. Next time I'll use some saffron in it though, if I can get my wallet to cooperate.

1 comment:

The Real Deal said...

Nice. Not the food - the blog. =P
Although as far as meal presentations go, looks good!